Burton Leonard Church of England (VC) Primary School recognises that some of its pupils, staff and visitors have individual needs when seeking to make use of the school and its facilities. However, the school also recognises the fact that, for some users, the nature of their disabilities may mean that they experience specific difficulties related to accessing education at the school and the physical environment. As part of the school’s on-going commitment to the SEND Code of Practice and equal opportunities, the school is endeavouring to ensue that all people with access problems receive the same standards of care and service as everyone else.We are a ‘dyslexia friendly’ school meeting the needs of all our pupils.
In the light of the above aims, the school will:
- Communicate to all staff that the policy of the school for the provision of educational services ensures the inclusion of all people with access problems;
- Provide disability awareness training for staff, as appropriate, which will explain the policy of the school towards people with access problems and the effective implementation of access improvements;
- Address acts of disability discrimination through existing conduct codes, where appropriate;
- Seek to ensure that suppliers and contractors on school premises follow the school’s guidelines as regards people with access problems.
Should it be required we willensure that the services and care the school provides effectivelymeet the needs of people with extra accessibility requirements, the school will:
- Consult with pupils, parents and staff who have particular access needs and with disability organisations;
- Plan to make access improvements to enable all people with access problems to use the school premises and services, and communicate these plans to everyone concerned;
- Regularly review whether its education and other services are both accessible and effective, and take any appropriate action;
- Monitor the implementation and effectiveness of this policy;
- Operate an accessibility suggestions procedure whereby any people with access problems can make improvement suggestions or request assistance.
Reviewed Spring 2019 Next review Spring 2022